TV producer and Internet-video personality Kirsten Dirksen invites us on her 5-year journey into the tiny homes of people searching for simplicity, self-sufficiency, minimalism and happiness by creating shelter in caves, converted garages, trailers, tool sheds, river boats and former pigeon coops.
- “This extraordinary recalibration of what it means to live the good life“- TreeHugger
- “If you’ve watched even a few tiny house videos, you’re sure to know – and applaud – the work of Kirsten Dirksen” – Oregon Live
- “For those who find themselves dumbfounded, perplexed and curious regarding how individuals can make everyday-use of very tiny spaces.” – The Blaze
- “The documentary focuses on the new craze sweeping American – people living in Tiny Houses.” – Weekly World News
- “The subject is fascinating.” – Directors Live
Kirsten Dirksen is co-founder of faircompanies.com and a Huffington Post blogger. She has worked for MTV, Oxygen, The Travel Channel and Sundance Channel. Her documentaries include “Searching for Da Vinci’s Secret” and “Translating Genocide: Journey to Sudan”. “We the Tiny House People” is her first documentary to premiere on youtube.
- Documentary runtime: 1:21:30
- Release: 2012
- Director/producer/writer/shooter/editor: Kirsten Dirksen
- Concept & additional shooting/writing: Nicolás Boullosa Guerrero
Features: Jay Shafer (Tumbleweed Tiny House Company), Austin Hay, Jenine Alexander (Forge Ahead Construction), Stephen Marshall (Little House on the Trailer), Suchin Pak (MTV, Hester Street Fair), Graham Hill (TreeHugger, LifeEdited), Felice Cohen, Luke Clark Tyler, Eric Schneider, Michael Chen (Normal Projects), Sarah Dickinson & family, Henri Grevellec, Matthieu de Marien (Fabre/deMarien Architects), Jérémie Buchholtz, Eva Prats (Flores Prats Architects), Christian Schallert, Pascual Alberola, Jorge Cortés (Enproyecto Arquitectura), Johnny Sanphillippo, Heather Wilcoxon
Locations: California (Sonoma County, San Francisco, Sausalito); New York City; Hawaii; France (Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie, Grezille, Puy-Notre-Dame, Bordeaux); Spain (Barcelona, Ibort, Vall de Laguar).
Sivia (Title track), Dave Warstler (Healdsburg, NYC intro, French cave home, San Francisco), My Life is Fireworks (Bordeaux apartment, Barcelona intro), Kite (Barcelona, Christian apartment).